Saturday 11 December 2010

Any Colour You Like - Another Movie Montage


I love a good dose of colour in movies. Nothing against spectacular Black and White cinematography - Film Noir is one of my favourite styles of film after all - but I'm always happy to see bright and shiny colours put to good use on the screen. I went back and forth on how to try to capture that in a video - there are plenty of scenes I could have used that are filled with bright hues, but I wasn't sure how to pull it together. So I decided to focus on clips that use primarily one colour and then string them together to work through the spectrum of the rainbow. I'm not sure this came out quite how I expected it to, but I still like it...




When I put together my horror montage, the music came first as that particular Mogwai tune drove the idea. In this case, I worked the other way - I had the idea and the clips before thinking of the music. However, as soon as I thought of the song I used ("Jeans Jeans Jeans" by the terrific Montreal band Plants And Animals), I knew it could work. The band's second album La La Land also provided the music over the end credits (a track called "Tom Cruz").

3 comments:

Kurt Halfyard said...

Damn, Bob! You are getting really good at this. Not surprised to see Argento, Yimou, and Anderson get a lot of 'montage time' but I love a lot of other stuff in there, even stuff I didn't recognize! (Still haven't caught Seijun Suzuki's PRINCESS RACOON.

Peter Nellhaus said...

Tres cool! Points for including JeeJa kicking ass.

Bob Turnbull said...

Thanks gents!

Kurt, I can bring Princess Raccoon on Tuesday if you're coming to Blogger night (and why would you not?).

Peter, there's always room for JeeJa - she's awesome.