Wednesday 7 July 2010

I'm Not Even Two Minutes In...


...and I already know that I'm going to love Return Of The Street Fighter, Shigehiro Ozawa's follow-up to The Streetfighter - both of which come from 1974 and star the most supremely excellent Sonny Chiba.

The initial setup of the film has Sonny requesting double his normal fee after being asked to "take care of" a couple of embezzling accountants (one of them in police custody). In order to get into the area where one of the accountants is being held, he purposely speeds off on his motorcycle to get the cops after him. He magically leaps his cycle over a crash in front of him, screeches to a halt in front of a set of embassy gates, somersaults over the high fence in one smooth movement and engages in hand-to-hand combat with a multitude of easy prey (while wearing a coat only he could make look cool). Watch out for the "duck from under helmet before pummeling guy left holding it" move. Sweet.




I can't wait to see the rest...


Update Note: 8 minutes in - a character in a movie theatre is watching one of Kinji Fukasaku's The Yakuza Papers films (you can't miss that terrific theme music). Awesome.

1 comment:

dave_or_did said...

Awesome. I love the first movie. I've not seen any of the sequels, but I'll sure try now!