Sunday 4 January 2009

Charlie Brown As Impressionist




One of my son's Christmas gifts this year was the Peanuts Holiday Collection on DVD. At 8, he had never seen any of the Charlie Brown TV specials that I grew up with, so we thought it was time (I think I can actually be arrested in many areas of North America for not having shown these to my child before now).

I was surprised by a number of things I had obviously forgotten: the very episodic nature of the shows, the rather sudden editing and how very funny Snoopy is. But my biggest surprise was when we watched "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"...Just look at the backgrounds in these shots:








These shots really jump out when contrasted with the rest of the animation which is pretty basic and has a simple colour palette. I love the fact that someone (whether it was Charles Schultz, director Bill Melendez or some unnamed backdrop painter) felt that this family show should have these lovely impressionistic skies.

My son loved the shows by the way. He didn't mention anything about these shots though...

No comments: