Monday 6 July 2009

New and Improved G.I. Joe Trailer


I was never a fan of G.I. Joe growing up. Not sure why, but the character just never captured my imagination like other superheroes did (or even Fat Albert for that matter). So I haven't really cared to follow anything regarding the "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" feature film coming out this year...However, I have several friends who are big fans since their diaper days and when I heard how disappointed they were with what they were seeing and hearing about the film, I was curious to watch the full fledged trailer.

It looks terrible. I don't even know how it ties back to the G.I. Joe I remember (granted, I may be missing something here...).

While meeting with a bunch of local film bloggers and writers recently, there was a suggestion that perhaps there was a way to improve the trailer and make it a bit more honest. My friend Rob (of NorthernFrights and HardcoreNerdity) took it upon himself to get the job done.

So here's his version:



Unfortunately, I've already been subjected to the original and there's really no going back, but if the new and improved version was the only trailer out, I'd probably go see it.

3 comments:

RH said...

I did it for my fans.

James Yates said...

Bob--

I definitely feel the same way. I played with both Transformers and GI Joe toys as a child, but never felt the nostalgia rush when the films were announced/came out.

I remember sitting with rapt attention during "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie," but I was around seven at the time.

I'm not at all dismissing anyone who awaits these movies and counts down the days, but I played with the toys, created my own little 'war' scenarios, and that was that. I wish I could remember the article, but when the first "Transformers" film came out, I read this amazing piece online regarding children in the 80s using the toys as a sort of distraction from broken homes, therefore increasing the fever pitch over the film.

Bob Turnbull said...

Your legion of fans RH...The throngs...The teeming masses.

Jamie, I'd love to read that piece about children of the 80s using their toys as distractions from broken homes - it strikes me as stretching the data towards a predetermined conclusion, but I'd be interested to see how they get to it.

I don't have a problem with anybody who is psyched with movies of this nature (though I don't get it when they ONLY get excited for these kinds of movies) or who get disappointed when they don't quite cut it. I just don't really care for most of the moviess themselves - but then again, I guess I don't see many of them...Oh well, you reach a point where you need to make some decisions about what you think you'll like - I can't see everything, so I focus on what appeals to me topic and genre wise.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a generalist, so that makes it tough sometimes...B-)