Saturday 13 April 2013

Basking In The Cesspool Of Filth #19



Having watched a few random horror films recently, I felt I should get back to my Cesspool posts. I always enjoy the screencap process...


Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974 - Brian Clemens) - The only director credit for Clemens - best known as a writer/producer for TV episodes of The Avengers, The New Avengers, The Professionals, Thriller, etc. - is a barrel of fun as the Captain and his hunchback sidekick hunt for whatever has been draining the youth and lifeforce from several ladies in a village. I'll give you one guess what kind of creature it is...







Mirrors (2008 - Alexandre Aja) - I guess I remain in the minority of horror fans who just didn't like Aja's High Tension (aka Switchblade Romance), but I thought I would give his bigger budget Hollywood horror Mirrors a shot. Aja's got a great eye and builds several impressive scenes, but the movie never fully engaged me in its characters, story or world. I like where it went, but didn't really care that much once we got there.







Dead Waters (1993 - Mariano Baino) - OK, I admit I have little idea what the hell happened during the majority of this movie. Apparently there's a remote convent in which secret sacrifices have taken place and is visited by the daughter of its former benefactor. She's there to see if she should continue paying regular contributions to them from his estate, but she's not very bright, more strange rituals start to take place in the catacombs underneath and things go from bad to worse. But even though it has a drab 4:3 presentation on DVD, there were still enough good scenes that made it a worthwhile experience - even if I didn't know what exactly was going on...







The Call Of Cthulhu (2005 - Andrew Leman) - A spiffy telling of the tale of Cthulhu that attempts to look like it was made 80 years prior. The silent film style of it is, well, all style and feels a bit like an experiment, but it complements the story well with its expressionist look and everything fits nicely into its compact under an hour running time.





No comments: