Monday 28 May 2012

Coincidental Parallels - "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" and "Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses"


"Oh my darling, oh my darling,
Oh my daaaahrling Clementine"


Of course, I expected to hear this little snippet of the old folk ballad during my most recent viewing of "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" (as I showed it to my son for the first time - a viewing filled with comments like "Hold on...wait...so...", exclamations like "Oh, I get it!" and then further comments like "Hold on...wait...so..."), but I didn't expect to hear it again during the very next film I watched: Aki Kaurismaki's bordering on nonsensical and slightly deranged Finnish/English/Mexican/Russian hybrid Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses. There it was, though, in the very final scene before credits, being sung by the old man who twice tried to steal the nose of the Statue Of Liberty from the bus of the Leningrad Cowboys (I warned you - clear and straightforward narrative this is not).

No offense Andre Wilms, but I'll take Kate Winslet's version over yours any day...

No comments: