Friday 12 October 2007

Close-Up Blog-a-thon - The Lovely Meiko Kaji


This post is another entry as part of the Close-Up blog-a-thon (running between Oct. 12-21).

Meiko Kaji was one of the major actors of the popular 60s and 70s Japanese exploitation films - she starred in the Female Convict Scorpion series as well as Lady Snowblood. She continues to work today, though mostly in TV, and is known as a confident, intelligent and often outspoken woman. She also possesses an intense gaze and a fascinating, expressive face.

As I was watching 1970's "Blind Woman's Curse" awhile ago (her first film billed as Meiko Kaji), I was struck by the number of close-ups director Teruo Ishii had of her. And I don't blame him - she's stunning. She runs through a number of emotions throughout the film, but never loses her composure or her strength.










The following shot occurs as she watches another woman walk away with a man she is interested in. You can almost see those daggers flying out from her eyes...








Do not mess with her.

4 comments:

Chet Mellema said...

Crass, I know, but she is drop dead gorgeous...especially when giving the stare down. What kind of site are you running, anyway (ha)?

Bob Turnbull said...

Oh there's no doubt...She is beautiful. But it's enhanced by the way she carries herself.

As for my site, well it was rated NC-17 so that should have warned you...B-)

dana said...

I have often admired Meiko Kaji closeups, myself - she actually says so little in her movies, but she says so much in her eyes. Awesome choice for the close up blog-a-thon!

Bob Turnbull said...

Thanks Dana...

"she actually says so little in her movies, but she says so much in her eyes."

You know, instead of me babbling, I should've just written exactly what you just said...